I am a fairly healthy person, and I am thankful for that. However, as I get older I notice that it is harder and harder for me to maintain my weight. I’m noticing more and more cellulite showing up. Ugh.
My mother once told me that with each decade of your life, it is that much harder to lose weight. She was right. I am 39 years old and if I do what I did 10 years ago to try and lose some weight, nothing happens now. In fact, the weight is increasing faster. Yikes.
I do love to run, but I find myself putting it off or just not doing it some days. I can always find something else to do besides exercise. Always.
It’s not only the exercise though. It’s what I eat. To a lot of people I probably would be considered a healthy eater. However, I LOVE carbs. In fact, if I could live off a diet of cereal, toast, bagels, chips, and pasta I would be set. These foods do NOT help you lose weight, trust me. I’ve tried the carb lovers diet and it’s not pretty. Now, I don’t eat a lot of processed foods or unhealthy carbs, but I eat way too many of them. I may eat Grape Nuts and whole wheat bread, but when that is your main source of food, there is a problem.
I know I need to eat more fruits and vegetables. I sometimes only eat one or maybe two servings. That’s sad and not good for me. But when there is toast I would rather have that than fruit. I have to consciously make the decision to eat fruit or it would never happen. I do not crave it, unfortunately.
I figured the best way to create a goal and stick to it, is to put it in writing. Not just in my journal for me to see though because I’ve tried that and I’m not good and keeping myself accountable. I need external help there. I decided I needed to put my goals on my blog so that I can always reference them and I know other people had read them. I think (hope) this will encourage me to stick to the plan. It’s worth a try, that’s for sure.
Here are my goals:
- Eat less carbs daily. If I have cereal, I will have some fruit with it instead of toast or more carbs.
- Eat 6-8 servings of fruit and veggies daily – That will leave less room for carbs and be much better for me.
- Work out 5 days a week – I can pick which 5, but it has to be 5 days. No excuses. 20 minute minimum and it can be any type of exercise I want it to be.
- Drink more water – I mainly drink water, but I do not drink enough. I need to work towards 8 glasses a day and not just with meals.
- Rest – sleep at least 7-8 hours a night, and keep Sunday as a day of rest and relaxation to prepare me for the week.
- Increase the amount of natural foods I eat- I will work in a lot more vegetables and fruit, but also more whole grains, beans, etc.
Those are my main goals, and it starts today. I will check in and give you my progress each week. If you are working on some of these same goals, please let me know. We can do it together!