Last night, and this morning, I found myself getting a little stressed. I just had that feeling of being overwhelmed, with too many to-do’s on my list. I really do not like this feeling and I’m sure I’m not alone.
I am usually fairly organized and on top of my activities, and I do not get too stressed very often. I cannot say that is true for my past life, but it is true today.
I do realize that because of my own choices, I’ve got a lot on my plate right now. So, it’s really my own fault and I can’t blame it on anything else. Darn. I have to be accountable to myself and I have to get everything accomplished somehow.
I’m sure some of you have found yourself in the same kind of situation. Sometimes we just have a lot of things to-do, whether we like it or not. But, we can change a couple of things. Here is my list to help you avoid and relieve stress:
- Be realistic with your time and how long certain activities take. Build in cushions to your day. You will need them.
- Do not schedule more than you can do in one day. Allow for the daily activities that must take place everyday, and only schedule so many “new” items to your daily routine.
- Keep one calendar with all of your activities, so that you do not over book or schedule too many things back to back.
- Write out a task list, with follow up dates. Put these into your computer so you get automatic reminders.
- Journal during times of stress (you really should journal all the time, but especially when you are stressed). It is a GREAT way to get all of those thoughts that are swimming around in your head, down onto paper. It takes some of the weight off of your shoulders. When you write things out, they don’t seem so bad. I promise.
- Look at your list of to-do’s and see if there are any items you can delegate or just take off completely for now. Is there anything that could wait until later, or that actually isn’t that important now that you think about it?
- Exercise and eat healthy. Wow, surprise huh? You’ve never heard that before. But seriously, when you are stressed, you are much more likely to get sick and worn down. Take care of yourself even when you don’t think you have time. You have to MAKE time to take care of your body, or you really won’t be able to get anything accomplished.
- Most importantly, pray and talk to God. Just this morning I started getting overwhelmed, so I talked to God about it and he told me to take a deep breath, slow down, and relax. That it would all get done, and not to worry. I sure am glad I get to talk to Him. He always knows what to say.
God reminded me of this verse “I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.” Phil 4:13. That is one of my favorite verses and it always helps me get through tough times.
Just remember we were never intended to carry big burdens, and I’ve found nowhere in the Bible where it says to “feel stressed”. In fact, the Bible tells us the opposite. It tells us to “not worry”, “not be afraid” and to “trust God”. If you do all of those things, stress will dissipate.
But just try to remember to be realistic with your time, with your abilities, with your energy, and with what is most important. And always look to God for strength and peace.